"Just do the pose." --Lois Steinberg

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

tone


Liam considers the meaning of two trees in the Lake District.


I'm going to wait a bit before I make the links that will connect this page to the outside world, because I want to feel out my rythm in posting to it. You might think that time spent jotting notes here could be better spent on the mat, but in fact I tend to write on days when I have my strongest (or any) practice. So the two work symbiotically, rather than antagonistically.

I also want to have a little time to inspect my tone. Certainly in my words I'll try to avoid moments of false closure ("Doesn't yoga make you feel great?"), but I also want to see if the tone can be as honest. The particular type of therapeutic yoga I've trained in has, not to put too fine a point on it, saved quite literally my ass. On the other hand, if I'm writing on my good days, the days when I feel strong and happy in adho mukha vrksasana, downward facing tree, say, rather than worried because I may or may not have strained my lower back in urdhva dhanurasana, the upward arch of backbends, then my tone might imply some simplistic resolution.

On my good days, I want to maintain sympathy for the self that is the practitioner of bad days. And perhaps, by extrapolation, I can feel at least something for sufferers in New Orleans or Falujah. A possibly too-simple ending which will undoubtedly be subject to its own share of scrutiny in some future post.